EFT (emotional freedom techniques) is a mind/body healing modality that resolves the negative beliefs and traumatic memories underlying physical and emotional symptoms. It works by the simple action of tapping with the fingers on acupuncture meridian endpoints while thinking about the negative emotion or memory. This calms the nervous system and breaks the cycle of negative thoughts and alarming reactions that are triggered whenever you experience a particular stimulus.
The best way to learn EFT is by attending a workshop or going for a session with a trained therapist. But instruction on the basic use of EFT is freely available on the Internet, and there are some really great resources out there that will give you a good introduction to the technique (See the resources at the bottom of the page). The purpose of this article is not to teach the EFT protocol but just to give a summary. At the end of the article you will find a link to the
EFT Manual created by EFTUniverse.com.
Here is the protocol for the EFT ‘basic recipe’:
- Identify the pain, discomfort or limiting belief.
- Give it a discomfort rating out of 10 (where 10 is maximum discomfort)
- Create a setup statement that describes the problem: “Even though I … I love and accept myself.”For example: Even though I got anxious when I had to deliver that presentation, and my heart was racing and I thought I was going to faint, I love and accept myself.
- Tap on the meridian points while thinking about the discomfort or negative belief.At each point, think of the discomfort and remember the troubling situation. Notice where you feel it in the body. As you are tapping, notice how this sensation changes. Follow it, tapping as you go.
- Test the discomfort level on the setup statement again by giving it a score out of 10. Keep doing further rounds of tapping if necessary to bring it down to an appropriate level of comfort.
That’s the basic recipe – simple, but effective. The real magic comes in when you learn how to ‘chase the pain’ by following the shifting sensations and emotions in the body.
For a more detailed explaination, visit the EFTUniverse.com site and download the EFT Mini Manual.
Or watch this great video of the EFT tapping points.
More EFT articles on Inspired Coaching: – Emotional freedom through EFT